The remake of True Grit has stunning cinematography and well-written dialogue. Here are some of my favorite lines from the movie, most of which belong to Jeff Bridge’s character, Rooster Cogburn. Number 12 is the best one I do believe.
- There is nothing free except for the grace of God.
- I do not entertain hypotheticals for the world is vexing enough.
- Why have you been ineffectually pursuing Chaney?
- I know you can drink whiskey and snort and spit and wallow in filth and bemoan your station. The rest has been braggadocio. They told me you had grit and that is why I came to you.
- The Author of all things watches over me and I have a fine horse.
- If I ever meet one of you Texas waddies who says he had never drank water out of a hoof track I think I’d shake his hand and give him a Daniel Webster cigar.
- “Why did they hang him so high?” “Possibly in the belief to make him more dead.”
- You go for a man hard enough and fast enough you don’t have time to think about how many of them is with him. He thinks about hisself, how he might get clear of that wrath that’s about to set down on him.
- Well that didn’t pan out… You managed to put a kink in my rope partner.
- “I’ve been shot by a rifle.” “Well that’s quite possible. The scheme did not develop as I had planned.”
- If them men wanted a decent burial, they should’ve gotten themselves kilt in summer.
- I’m struck that LaBoeuf has been shot, trampled and nearly severed his tongue and not only does he cease to talk but he still spills the banks of English.
- The Sharps Carbine is an instrument of uncanny power and precision. Oh I have no doubt that the gun is sound.
- Cogburn outlined a plan. His part, I fear is rash.